- He has been asked to depart India within 48 hours. Here’s all you should be aware of Mehmood Akhtar and the espionage ring:
- Mehmood Akhtar, who worked in the visa section of the high commission, was acquiring crucial information from two other accomplices who have been caught.
- He is on deputation to Pakistan’s ISI since January 2013 and is a serving Hawaldar at the Baloch Regiment of Pakistan army.
- Akhtar was released after extensive questioning for the reason that of his diplomatic protection as he is placed in the Pakistan high commission (PHC) of Delhi.Pakistan, however, has refused Mehmood Akhtar’s engagement in spying.
- Akhtar originally possessed an Aadhar card in the identity of Mehboob Rajput.
- He stated being a resident of Delhi’s Chandni Chowk.
Soon after the police disclosure, Pakistan envoy Abdul Basit was called to foreign secretary S Jaishankar’s office.
Basit was adament that Akhtar was “manhandled”, which is a case of violation of 1961 Vienna Convention. India has highly refuted Pakistan’s claims of ill-treating Akhtar.
- The other two caught are residents of Rajasthan and identified as Maulana Ramzan and Subhash Jangir. They have already been sent to 12 days of police remand.
- Investigators searching the case suspect more individuals from the Pakistani objective may be engaged in the espionage ring.