It’s broadly known that all railway stations are constructed by the government, but here’s a twist, Vile Parle station did not always belong to the government. The land where Vile Parle railway station stands actually belongs to Gokuldas Tejpal, a renowned businessman who donated his land along with rupees one lakh 11 thousand to the British Railway Company to construct a railway station that connected all through the suburbs. Built in 1912, the land was donated for public welfare and was inherited by Mr. Tejpal who is known for his philanthropic work. He has donated to several charity homes in our city and also built a school and hospital using his initials ‘GT’. The Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital, GT High School and the Tejpal Hall are a few structures built/ donated by him.
Did you know?
Another intriguing fact about Vile Parle station is its name. Popularly believed that the name comes from the biscuit factory (Parle-G), the name Vile Parle originates from two Shiv temples – Virleshwar and Parleshwar – located in Vile Parle. In Marathi, it is clearly pronounced as ‘Virle Parle’ but its translations have caused a false impression.